Strategy Home Settlements

Poland Villages Slovakia Villages Ukraine Villages

Settlements of East SLOVAKIA

Smolnik (Zemplen Szomolnak, Ujszomolnok)

 

 

Village was evacuated in 1980 as it was in the watershed area for the construction of the Starina Reservoir.  Only the church appears to remain.

 

Village Information

Village Links

Regional

Surnames

1997 Topographical Map

Online Historical Book:

Below Snina Rock (1964)

Photographs

Current Road Map

Starina Reservoir

Reference in Wooden Church book from Folk Museum of Ukrainian Culture at Svidnik

Current Topo Map #2

1914 Zemplin County Map (714KB)

Photos by Kurbanick, 2009

1925 Topo Map (1.4MB)

East Carpathian Biosphere Reserve - Poland/Slovakia/Ukraine

   

Carpathian Ecoregion Initiative

Highlights

Earliest Record 1568
Population 1869-276, 1900-337, 1930-397, 1940-445, 1948-404, 1970-353
1914 Population 9 German, 343 Rusyn; 366 Greek Catholic, 8 Jews
Village Names Zemplen Szomolnak, Ujszomolnok
Owners Originally in the Humenne Estate, later to the noble family Okolicsány.  In the 19th century it belonged to the Lonyay noble family.

 

History

  • The village contained 1447 hectares of land.

  • The Greek Catholic church, baroque-class was built in 1819.  It is no longer present.

  • The village was first mentioned in 1568, as a possession of the feudal dominion of Humenné. 

  • In the 1914 fighting, 15 villagers were killed.

  • In 1939 it became a territory of Hungary.

  • It is reported by Gloria Kurbanick that the church and cemetery and much of the village was laid waste by German-Russian fighting in fall of 1944.

Source: Vlastivedný Slovník Obcí na Slovensku Bratislava 1977

 

"The cemetery is still there and the foundation of the G-C Church. There is a covering over the altar area and the do have a reunion there every June with Mass and picnic. The community well is still functional and the roads are very passable. I have spent hours in and around Smolnik, wandering up the creek and sitting by the cemetery and Church area. The former mayor has a hunting cabin there" - John Onda

 

1568 Zmolnyk, 1734 Szmolnik, 1773 Smolnik. The village always belonged to Humenné town. In 1715 a mill was built here.   Source: Roberto Cannoni, Italy

Resource:

"Horna Cirocha" Vlastivedna monografia zatopovej oblasti. Jan Podolak, 1985.

 

This village is now a part of the Poloniny National Park.

Photos

Smolnik Cemetery

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik Church Cemetery

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik Church Cemetery

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik Church Site - Small Chapel is now extant

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik - Cirocha Creek

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik Creek

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik - View from cemetery

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik - View from cemetery

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Smolnik - View from cemetery

Copyright 2006, John Onda

Rusyns - Lost Homes - A picture essay of the land of the seven villages cleared to make way for the Starina Reservoir. 2006

Surnames

Surname (Researcher)

VONDA, HRICKO (John Onda, 2006)

Koribanic/Kurbanick (2009)

Links to off-site webs will open in a new window.  Please disable your pop-up stopper.

Last Update: 13 October 2009  

Copyright  © 2002-2009, Bill Tarkulich