Strategy Home Settlements

Poland Villages Slovakia Villages Ukraine Villages

Settlements of East SLOVAKIA

Cabelovce (Csabahaza, Csabalocz es Sterkocz)

Photo Credit: Alan Toy, 2003

 

Village Information

Village Links

Regional

Surnames

1997 Topographical Map

Online Historical Book:

Below Snina Rock (1964)

Photographs

Current Road Map

 
 

Topo Map #2

1914 Zemplin County Map (714KB)

 

1925 Topo Map (1.4MB)

 

Highlights

First Mentioned 1494
2001 Population  
1914 Population 552

4 Magyar, 39 German, 509 Ruthenian;

509 Greek Catholic, 39 Jew

Village Names Csabahaza, Csabalocz es Sterkocz

History

This village is situated along the Vilšava stream tributary of the Laborec river. Čabalovce is first mentioned in 1494 as part of feudal Lord MikulᚠBakóczy (Miklós Bakóczy in Magyar) dominions. Later, it passed to Erdődy noble family. In the 18th century it belonged to Hadik-Barkóczy noble landowners. In 1715 it had 18 inhabited houses and 11 abandoned houses. In 1785 there were 50 houses and 382 inhabitants.  In 1828, there were 49 houses and 361 inhabitants.

 

Nearby Sterkovce belonged to the Čabalovce landowners. Its inhabitants suffered fevers and  in 1694 it was almost entirely depopulated. In the 18th century it was repopulated by the new owners, the nobleman Szirmay. In 1787 it had 41 houses and 280 inhabitants, in 1828 39 houses and 298 inhabitants.

 

Source: Vlastivednę Slovník Obcí na Slovensku Bratislava 1977

 

Čabalovce (+ Sterkovce) : 1494 Chabaloch, 1773 Csabalowcze (1494 Zterkocz). Situated near the Vilšava stream tributary of Laborec river. Čabalovce is mentioned in 1494 as part of feudatory MikulᚠBakóczy (Miklós Bakóczy in Hungarian) ‘s dominions. After it passed to Erdődy noble family. In the XVIII century it belonged to Hadik-Barkóczy noble landowners. In 1715 had 18 houses inhabited and 11 abandoned. In 1785 50 houses and 382 inhabitants. In 1828 49 houses and 361 inhabitants.

Sterkovce belonged to Čabalovce landowners. Its inhabitants suffered fevers and  in 1694 it became almost depopulated. In the XVIII century it was repopulated by the new owners the nobles Szirmay. In 1787 it had got 41 houses and 280 inhabitants, in 1828 39 houses and 298 inhabitants.   

Source: Roberto Cannoni, Italy

 

Photos

Surnames

 

Links to off-site webs will open in a new window.  Please disable your pop-up stopper.

Last Update: 05 July 2007  

Copyright  © 2002-2007