Strategy Home Settlements

Poland Villages Slovakia Villages Ukraine Villages

Settlements of East SLOVAKIA

Uličské Krivé (Gorbeszeg)

 

Church of St. Michael Archangel (1718)
 

Village Information

Village Links

Regional

Surnames

 

Wooden Church - from Muzeum.sk

Online Book:

Below Snina Rock (1964)

Photographs

Road Map

Online Book:

History of Ulic, Slovakia (1996) (PDF)

Reference in Wooden Church book from Folk Museum of Ukrainian Culture at Svidnik

Current Village Information

History of the Ulic Valley, 2002 (rewrite of the 1996 version)

 

Greek Catholic Church

 
  More Wooden Church Photos 1914 Zemplin County Map (714KB)

Greek Catholic Church: Originally St. Michael Archangel 1718 (L, NKP).  Affiliated Church Ruský Potok - St. Michael Archangel 1740 (L, NKP), Administered by Ulic church.  Church is no longer in operation (controlled by Orthodox)

Highlights

First Mentioned 1451
2001 Population 69 Rusyn, 15 Ukrainian, 289 Other

66 Orthodox, 213 Greek Catholic, 94 Other

2001 Population 162
1921 Pop. Peak 519
1914 Population 405

9 Magyar, 35 German, 355 Ruthenian;

5 Roman Catholic, 362 Greek Catholic, 38 Jew

Total Area

1,290 hectare
Names 1451 Hvlydch, Hulicz, Hulitsch,  1773 Uluež, 1808 Uliča

Surnames

Photos

Entrance to Church

Holy Door

Icon Screen - 2nd and 3rd row

Crucifixion

Road to Zboj, looking from Ulicske Krive

Story of Jesus' Death

Ulicske Krive Church

Ulicske Krive

Outskirts of the village, 2001

Ulicske Krive Panorama

credit Vasil Fedic, 2002

 

History, Vasil Fedič, 2003

The village was established by Walachian law, as property of the Humenne estate during the 16th – 17th century.  In the 16th century the village was not taxed.  In 1715 mention was made of 12 dwellings, of which 6 were deserted.  In 1720 a village mill is mentioned.  The mill was discontinued, since starting in 1795 the mill is no longer mentioned.  In later years grinding mills and seasonal mills in other communities were established.  In 1787 the village and surroundings were owned by Mariassz, in the 19th century Dessewffz during which an interim manor-house was constructed.  In the 19th century large land pieces were owned by the Mokcaj and Rick families.  Later they were owned by Maximilian Felledi.

 The villagers worked in the forests and in wood production.  Typical of this region was terraced style cultivation on high mountain ledges.  In 1939-1944 was village was annexed by Hungary.

 Military operations left their mark.  During the advancing front, which remained here for five weeks, the retreating forces burned nearly 20 homes.  There were military as well as civilian casualties.  The Ninth Russian combat division fought with the 1st Czechoslovakia military force and under four ordinary Red armies.  The village was liberated on 25 October 1944.

 In the post-war period registers, the village logged emigration of residents for work, primarily to the Czech lands.  Shortly after the war, 30 residents of Rusky Potok moved there permanently.

1478 Kirwa, 1773 Ulicz Kriva. Mentioned for the first time in 1478, it Belonged to Humenné town, to Izbugyai counts and in the XIX century to nobles Kiss (Kissov). During the History, its inhabitants were occupied as woodmen.  Source: Roberto Cannoni, Italy

Landmarks

  • In the village is located a national culture monument – the wooden church of St. Michael Archangel.  It was built in 1740.  It is a three-space structure with a polygonal sacristy, square center and a babynet (Women’s room), over which is a tower was built into the roof. 

  • The main altar with iconostasis is baroque from first half of the 18th century. 

Surnames

BUCHLAK, COGAN, KOCSAN, KOVAL, MOCHNAC, ROHUTANICZ, KORKABECZ, KERISLER, PETELY, SUKALY.

Photo Credit: Bill Tarkulich, Mick Sura, 2001

Links to off-site webs will open in a new window.  Please disable your pop-up stopper.

Last Update: 05 July 2007  

Copyright  © 2002-2007, Bill Tarkulich